What I objected to was your statement: “If you walk through the woods with a loaded gun that's primed and ready to fire, I consider you irresponsible.” I understand now that you were speaking about another type of firearm: the semi-automatics and automatics that you used in the service. At least I think that's what you meant.

My aforementioned Mountain Gun is a double action revolver. I carry it exactly as you describe: I can either thumb the hammer back and then pull the trigger (very light pull), or I can simply pull the trigger and it will fire (much heavier pull and my preferred way of shooting it.) I do not believe it can go off even if dropped as long as the hammer is not cocked, but of course I act as though it can and will. In the old days of single action Colt Peacemakers and such it was considered prudent to carry your pistol with an empty chamber under the hammer to prevent a scenario just as you describe: tripping, dropping the gun, and having it go off accidentally. These days guns are manufactured with internal safety devices to prevent that sort of thing, but there is still no substitute for safe gun handling.

What I meant by “much faster” is just that. Take your example of the Browning 9mm pistol. If it’s a Hi-Power and I’m understanding your technique in the service correctly, then you would draw the weapon, rack the slide to chamber a round, aim the weapon, and then fire. With the Mountain Gun you simply draw the weapon, aim, and fire. If you first have to load the magazine then the revolver would be “much, much faster”. (FWIW, if the Hi-Power was carried “cocked and locked” it might be a hair faster even than the revolver.)

Using your .5 second difference as an example, in a confrontation with a bad guy that might mean the difference between making it to cover or not. And don’t forget that, at 30 MPH, a charging bear covers 25 feet in .5 of a second. No, if I’m going to carry a gun in the woods, it’s going to be loaded and if it’s a revolver at least, it’s going to have a full cylinder.

I just thought of another threat which is probably more serious than a bear: the rabid fox (or coyote or porcupine.) Anybody ever encounter one of those? I’ve got to admit, rabies makes me a bit nervous.

Regards, Vince