Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you buy the stove you indicate, it already includes a pot/cup and the one you list would be unnecessary...

Certainly a valid statement. Since the cup takes up no additional space (comfortable fits over the water bottle) and we have to consider a possibility of the stove being used by more than one person, why not include it?

Originally Posted By: hikermor
There are stoves available that are much hotter. lighter, and more efficient than that stove, however, since I take it that you need a sterno fuel can.

I like the fact that this stove can be used indoors. Also, Mom has expressed her concern with storing gas canisters.

Jeanette Isabelle

Any flame, including sterno cans, is a potential source of carbon monoxide. If the users are attentive, and the space is decently ventilated, there is little problem. I have often used camping stoves of various brands inside cabins etc. with no problems. one does need to alert to the potential dangers of carbon monoxide.

In a bugout situation, I would save weight and share a cup. This is not High Tea with royalty.

Speaking of weight, if there is concern with isobutane fuel canisters, consider an alcohol stove. Buy one - Trangia is a common, dependable brand, or make one from an aluminum can. They will burn alcohol, including high proof booze or even the alcohol based hand cleaner in your FAK(like Purell). Alcohol is much hotter per unit weight than sterno,which takes a long time to cook anything.

For the last twenty years, I have used an MSR Pocket Rocket (weight 3 oz) with isobutane canisters and been quite satisfied. I have had no problems with the canisters nor have I heard of any. Any fuel, even wood, must be handled properly, with due regard for safety. Otherwise, learn to live on raisins, peanuts, and cold instant coffee (Horrors...)