Originally Posted By: hikermor
Having actually bugged out recently, under a certain amount of duress, I regard these "kits" as a beginning (not a particularly good one, but a start, nonetheless, and that at least is something). As always, what is assembled, and actually used, will vary drastically, depending upon the season, the weather, the particular emergency, just to name some o the major factors at play.

That is why Doug Ritter and Uncharted Supply Company made recommendations to supplement their respective kits. I particularly like what Uncharted did, use one set of recommendations per situation. It's like using the Seventy2 as a standard "foundation" for a wide variety of custom homes if you permit me to use such an analogy.

As always, human ingenuity and inventiveness are far more important than the gadgets at hand (although there is nothing wrong with both, working together in concert = gadgets plus knowledge for the win!).

I did not talk about it much in this forum; one thing that was abundantly clear as I did my research is that to maximize the full benefit of both the PSP and the Seventy2, I need to train with these kits.

For example, to catch a fish with the PSP, I need to be able to catch a fish with the PSP. A fish will not jump out of a lake, clean itself and begin cooking simply because I have a PSP.

Discussions like this are fun, but in reality, if you have just a few of the basics, a bit of ingenuity , a gift for improvisation, and the ability to withstand a decent amount of suffering and deprivation, things will work out in the end.

I'm for all that except for the suffering and deprivation.

Jeanette Isabelle