Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Excellent write up Phaedrus. You won't get any piling on from me though.

It did remind me of a video I saw the other day. At the Global Bushcraft Symposium held north of Calgary last week, one of the speakers was an excellent French Canadian bushcraft/survival expert (Andre Francois Bourbeau). His topic as on risk management and one of my key take-a-ways was the concept that very rarely when things go wrong that they happen all at once or in one big event. Rather it is a series of missteps and decisions that are made that eventually make up the risk event.

If you get a chance to watch, he is both very entertaining and full of great information. Andre Francois Bourbeau - keynote presentation

FYI, I have a long road trip on remote gravel road planned for in the next few weeks (i.e. the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Ocean). I plan to have the mini-spare tire, a second full size spare tire, a trailer spare tire and my tire repair kit as well as extra fuses, clamps, fluids, gas, and tool kit.

Andre Francois Bourbeau stress something we rarely talk about, luck or lack thereof, if you are lucky we never hear about you, but get enough of what Andre says are red and yellow flags and then add in some bad luck and we end up talking about it.

I highly recommend listing to this and every other presentation from the 2019 Global Bushcraft Symposium. Most of the Keynotes are on YouTube, but sadly only maybe 10% of the sessions and none of the conversations which lasted from 07:00 until at least 22:00 each day. This level of presentation is why I mentioned a few months ago to everyone that they should take the time to attend, getting the perspective and knowledge from real experts from 5 countries, spread across two continents is a rare thing. Hopefully we will get the chance in 6 to 8 years to run another in North America. Next one is in 2021 in the UK.
boreal.net