Originally Posted By: teacher
"I could have removed 1/3 of it and added a down jacket or something."

Much of what you need is lots of the same thing; insulation, water, batteries, food.
Don't get caught in packing every little do-dad.

1. Do I have the basics?
2. Am I sure?
3. Does my buddy have his?

So true! It didn't immediately occur to me that my buddy wasn't carrying a water bottle with him. I did wouldn't have thought it would be a big issue since we were together but when he lit out on his own it could have been an issue. You can't walk a hundred yards through that part of Idaho without stepping across a creek, stream or spring so probably he's have been fine but it's a valid concern.

This was literally the first time in recent memory that I've been out in the mountains without a jacket or second layer. Hard to imagine what possessed me; best I can explain was that it was get-home-itus.

Ultimately though anything that doesn't kill a person can be a lesson. I will tweak my kit a little bit. When you're sitting at home it 's easy to 'war game' things and envision scenarios where you'll need a certain item. And just because I didn't need a given thing this time doesn't guarantee I won't need it next. But a few things probably could be omitted.

I must also sing an ode to the power of duct tape! When my tarp ripped in a couple spots it saved me from having to deploy another. Plus it was easier to modify the lay of the blanket with some tape vs tying more knots.