Thanks, everyone! Normalcy bias is a big thing to watch out for. Lots of signs where there that I might be out longer but in my impatience I ignored a lot of them.

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Excellent write up Phaedrus. You won't get any piling on from me though.

It did remind me of a video I saw the other day. At the Global Bushcraft Symposium held north of Calgary last week, one of the speakers was an excellent French Canadian bushcraft/survival expert (Andre Francois Bourbeau). His topic as on risk management and one of my key take-a-ways was the concept that very rarely when things go wrong that they happen all at once or in one big event. Rather it is a series of missteps and decisions that are made that eventually make up the risk event.

If you get a chance to watch, he is both very entertaining and full of great information. Andre Francois Bourbeau - keynote presentation

Bourbeau knows his stuff! I'll check out the video, really wish I could have attended the symposium.

Thanks, everyone!
Originally Posted By: CJK
Thank you for your insight and the guts to post it so truthfully. I will learn from what all of you have posted so in that regard you TRULY helped me.

I'm glad all turned out ok. There won't be any dog piling....if you are like most of us here..... you will be far more critical on yourself than anyone else could be. You've already learned. Good job. Safe (further) travels.

That's what we're here for! grin Hopefully my embarrassment will prompt others to be a bit more careful.