Montanero is exactly right and it is now true confession time for ol' Hikermor.

Last month I was out on Santa Rosa Island, one of the Channel Islands, which I had first seen in 1982, and an island on which I have spent extensive time since, doing archaeology and some paleontology. I and two companions were checking out reports of paleo material about three miles from the road.

Returning, I started back before my buddies, since I am hiking slower and slower these days. To make a long story short, I became confused and was headed in the wrong direction, about 90 degrees off course, when my companions caught up with me and steered me straight.

What happened?

I had a map, but it was tucked away in my pack - never referenced. - wrong!

I had spent time on the island, but this was my first time in this area (SRI is a really big island - 53,000 acres, with lots to see).

I also had allowed myself to become a bit dehydrated. This is unforgivable. I know much better, but the water was stowed in my pack and I was trying not to slow the group too much.

Geriatric hikers need to reassess their actual capabilities and review the basics. Just because you have experience doesn't mean you can't make mistakes.