Survival begins with factors which are personal and quite variable - the individual's attitude and willingness to endure. Then comes the person's skills, abilities, and knowledge, along with the ability to think outside the (grey) box and improvise. Then we get into the realm of equipment and gadgetry. What is critical and life saving in one situation may be useless in another.

The perpetrators of this kit have avoided that difficulty by providing stuff that is marginal in almost any situation. A strap on the backpack for mounting a flashlight? I have done quite a lot of night hiking, sometimes dusk to dawn, and it has never occurred to me to put a light on my backpack, nor can I see any advantage to doing so.

You often do want your light in your hand; sometimes it is best on your head. What can work quite well is a small light with a clip that can be adjusted to mount the light on the brim of your ball cap. Please note that these perps will sell you both T shirts and ball caps (survival gear??)

"They already explained it. In an urban environment, you need to be the grey man."

Just another survivalist fantasy, part of the folklore and the script that starts with SHTF (unexplained what that might be, but the grid is usually down), then the urban masses realize they are out of food, raging around search ing for food, and if you are not the "grey man" they will realize you are equipped to survive and they will come and get all your stuff.

You do have situations like the Rodney King riots which approach this condition, but far more often you see group cooperation and assistance when disaster strikes.

For me, I am going to pitch in and help, and be helped, by those around me - not hide behind some fence. That's me, and that is the way I live.