I put my clothes, keys, etc. on the second bed if there is one, or on a desk/table or chair. I don't like leaving things in the hallway to the rooms door. One, because they are a potential trip hazard there, and two, because there's no guarantee my exit will be out the door - it might be out the window on the opposite side of the room. I always put my flashlight on the bedside table. Then I call home and make sure the family has the hotel name, phone, and city in case they need to get in touch with me and are faced with my cellphone being dead or no service.

I'm not one who unpacks - I leave everything packed in my suitcase, removing things as needed, but repacking them when I'm done with them. The exception might be to hang up my suit if I'm going to something formal (extremely rare for me!) My goal is to be able to leave with all my stuff immediately after a notification. Of course I wouldn't jeopardize myself or anyone else by trying to drag a suitcase through a smoky hallway - my things would be abandoned and left in the room in that case. But if the hallway is clear and exit appears easy and assured - my stuff goes with me. No need to leave things like my laptop behind to potentially get doused by the sprinklers if there are no safety concerns preventing me from taking it with me. I'm an extremely light packer too - I'll travel with only one small carry-on, about half the size of what most people use. My carry-on actually goes under an airplane seat. This is extremely handy for when the luggage pigs drag tons of oversized bags onboard and take all the overhead bins for themselves. Plus, if I'm forced to evacuate a hotel, I only have that one little thing to carry (when safely allowable).