Ran across the 'darn tough' socks a couple of years ago when the local construction big-box store quit carrying the ones I had liked and used for many years. While the darn tough socks are expensive - I have been very impressed with them over the last two years where I wear a pair every day.

I also got one pair of SmartWool socks and they are great too but the darn tough ones just "felt" better to me so I went that way for no reason more than that.

I usually wear boots and walk a lot too and these have really held up for me. I used to wear out a sock in about a year or less of use - the heels and back just above the heel would wear out and sometimes the toe area. I did the darning thing a bit but it was a pain for only a couple of months additional life.

The oldest pair of darn tough is now at two plus years and I am not sure which one it is when doing the wash as they look/feel as good as the new ones purchased at the start of the this year (Christmas money!). With that, I recommend them but YMMV!

Paul -