This made me think about that old unit out in the cabinet, a Magellan Meridian Platinum. Quite the unit in its day! I just fired it up and went out on the southern facing deck and got a solid lock in under a couple of minutes and the track from last summer showed up along with several solid hits on satellites.

I will guess it's good to go. I will take it out again during the week and see how it does around town. The next thing I will look at is the car GPS - it's in a 2008 Prius (I expect it to be OK).

It's interesting how some legacy equipment just keeps going and is dependable. I dug into some old computer files (Microsoft Streets and Trips) and an old SD card that I had used with it and there are trips and trails on there from early 2004. Near as I can figure I have had this thing since 2003 - the store I got it at (and the mall it was in) are long gone. I used this thing a lot back then hunting and traveling - good times!

I also discovered all the connection cables for it this morning and I think I can Mcgiver a connection to one of my hand held radios and I'll have a 'state-of-the-art' unit for APRS and Ham use - I have an expensive multi hundred dollar radio to this and from what I see I can get this old GPS and the $20.00 hand held to do just as good or even better!