My kits include:

• A full trauma kit with two CATs in the cabin of my car
  • A full trauma kit with one CAT in the emergency kit kept in the trunk of my car
  • A TSA-safe (no decompression needle) trauma kit with a CAT in my laptop bag
  • Two full trauma kits in my range bag, each with a CAT, one to stay with my range bag and one that goes on my person, whenever I’m on the range
  • A minimalist trauma kit on my bicycle, with a SWAT-T

The SWAT-T is better than nothing, but I would definitely not want to be using one for self aid on an upper extremity — it truly requires two hands. I’ve also broken them in training after more than one use (personally, I’ve never seen one break on first use, and your training TKs should NEVER be carried).

The SOFTT-W is excellent for buddy aid and a bit tougher to deploy for self-aid.

The CAT is excellent for self aid and for buddy aid. I’ve been told that it’s a little tougher to get full occlusion with it on a large muscular leg than the SOFTT-W.

I think that the SAM XT will be approved by CoTCCC, and when it is I expect that I’ll slowly start replacing my CATs with it. In training it’s even easier to apply correctly than the CAT.

The RATS device is not approved by CoTCCC and while I can’t speak for them I suspect it never will be. Two trainers I’ve worked with (separately) served in uniform as medics in combat and then later served as paramedics, and neither of them recommend it. That’s good enough for me.

While I’m on my soapbox, the most important thing is the willingness to act to save your own life or that of another. The next most important thing is situational awareness, knowing what’s going on around you so that you can act appropriately if needed. After that comes knowing which intervention to use and knowing how to use it. Last and least is having the right equipment at hand. So if you haven’t trained on this, that would be my suggestion as your next step before buying any kit.