Jeanette Marantos wrote her article for those who have good intentions but have yet to make it happen. She recommended a $35 FAK. I'm saying that the targeted audience (those who neither have the training nor a FAK) can get a better FAK for $25.

Hikermor said, "Ideally, a FAK should be fine tuned to the capabilities and training o the person(s) using it. The very best and most cost effective FAK is the one you assemble yourself."

Again, Jeanette Marantos wrote her article for those who have good intentions. The target audience is not going to assemble a FAK fine-tuned to their capabilities and training. That audience, if they do get a FAK, will get an off-the-shelf kit.

Yes, my recommendation is 49% bandaids (if you include the wound closer strips); if we were to compare the two kits side by side, we would see that they, more or less, have the same contents. My recommendation has more medications, ointments and cleaning items. Hers has two additional 4" x 4" gauze pads, one extra gauze roll, an extra triangular bandage, two hydrocortisone cream packs and an emergency blanket.

Jeanette Isabelle