Quote:
EDC for survival? — not really, that kit is much bigger with much more capability than I need for daily use.
EDC for daily use? — Yep, nothing is wrapped up or stored in a kit, it’s all user gear.

I need to clarify. I don’t EDC gear in case a survival situation occurs in my daily life; I EDC items for daily use and those core items are used regularly. I carry the core gear around the house. Here at my desk I have a couple knives, my headlamp and a 1xD LED lantern that is excellent for lighting the room during a power outage. Other around the house survival equipment might include a fire extinguisher, but I’m not going to EDC a Kidde dry chemical tank, if there’s an emergency one is available. OTOH, when I walk out the door, things are added such as that previously mentioned flip-phone.

If out driving there will be a largish survival kit in the truck that includes more gear than an individual could carry, obviously that would not be considered EDC. If I’m on a dedicated walk/hike, additional gear would be carried (water/FAK/GPS/flip-phone...et al) depending on the walk/hike and weather conditions.

BTW, it’s SOCAL and despite the rain we’ve had lately, this is still the edge of the desert and starting a fire in suburbia is bad form. So no, I don’t EDC my fire kit, the chaparral is great tinder, but not in a good way.

This is all just to say that EDC gear must have a purpose other than weighing down my pockets. I EDC a small bit of core gear and carry other gear as conditions and situations warrant.