Color me skeptical about all the new wonderful steels...Are there real, practical advances or are we subjected to marketing hype?

I know there are endless discussions about XYZ vs. 123 steels and their alleged properties. Here is a typical example: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ive-gone-steel-crazy.1639095/.

I still have my grandfather's chef knife dating from ??? and a few I have purchased in the early 70s, as well as ones I have purchased more recently, including some with "name" steels (154CM and D2). They all seem to cut well, especially if maintained and sharpened occasionally.

Personally, I find a good session with my Sharpmaker and knives to be pleasant and relaxing.

What are real advantages of these new types of steel. I freely admit that cutting instruments today are much better than the flint hand axes carried by our ancestors, and probably superior to the steels available during the Dark Ages, but in terms of practical use, is there any significant difference among the plethora of steels available today. I am willing to be educated....