Originally Posted By: Tirec
I'd make sure to add a shovel, tow rope, bailing-wire, pliers, jumper cables, a tarp, ropes, face mask/bandana, goggles (that allow glasses, if you need them, like I do). If there's a bad dust storm, you can tie the rope/twine to the steering wheel and to your belt before venturing outside. People have gotten lost when they slipped and fell while trying to navigate from the front of the car to the back door during a dust storm or blizzard.

really?? Could you please cite some actual occurrences, especially in desert conditions.

Old desert hand here -sixty years kicking around Arizona and California and I have never heard of such an event. There have been some bad dust storms definitely obscuring driving visibility between Tucson and Phoenix in recent years, but visibility was reduced primarily because of the intensive cultivated fields in that region.

If visibility were to be that bad, exiting the vehicle would be a very bad idea.

Extreme blizzards might be a different story....but especially then, stay in the car.

I do agree rope is handy. Sam Gamgee (LOTR)"You will always need a bit of rope..."

Edited by hikermor (01/21/19 12:21 AM)