Originally Posted By: clearwater
A simple Helo transport from roadside to hospital runs about $65,000 here. Even tho we have an Air Force Base in town, about the only time the government copters are allowed to be used anymore is if a hoist or similar gear is needed.
The Air National Guard rescue helos aren't allowed to compete with commercial medevac services. If a for profit medevac helo is willing/able to accept the mission, the ANG won't launch.

Some years back, a co-worker's son shattered his leg snow machining in an area a ways off the road. The local volunteer EMS squad reached him (on snow machines) and did initial care. The leg was really bad with multiple fractures. Hauling him out on a sled would have taken along time, and been very rough on the patient, so they opted to call for a medevac with LifeMed Alaska. It was some years ago, but as I recall my friend said it cost about $50,000. Insurance covered most of it, but my friends bill was still big!

Moral of the story: In Alaska try to get evacuated by the Air National Guard, the State Troopers, or the USCG. They don't charge! If you need a commercial medevac, you better have good insurance.