I would grade this video about a C- (charitable, as always) - longer than necessary for the info conveyed. More importantly, just typical "survivalist" blather (amusing to watch, but do not take all their stuff seriously).

I tend to be cautious about folks whose "experience" comes from survival classes and time on the range, versus actual marginal situations. I would rather have the opinions of a thru-hiker or a SAR volunteer, than that of a middle aged, out of shape good ol' boy.

I do agree with most of their choices. I have good experience with Exotac products (albeit expensive). Dead Bird does indeed make good stuff. Boots are very dependant on individual fit, and there are many brands to choose among. Same for backpacks, which were not discussed.

it would be worthwhile to explore the bargain items that people "might trust their lives to" (love the drama). Take knives - a $12 Mora is just as dependable and cuts just as well as blades 100 times as expensive. Dependable waterproof match cases can cost only mere pennies, as opposed to $30 Exotac cases (which are absolutely fine.

No discussion of essentials - what about signal mirrors, the requirements for heat and fire in adverse conditions, and impromptu shelter and sleep requirements?

But these guys are "survivalists," living in a world that is going to collapse soon, and in their fantasies, it will be every one for themselves with slaughter and mayhem everywhere - IMHO, not very realistic or likely.

Edited by hikermor (01/03/19 02:42 PM)