My knife came today!

Starting with the box; it arrived pristine and if you keep knives in boxes you'll like this one. It also has the words "All of our knives are built to last and carry a limited lifetime warranty."

Inside the box is a small packet of silica gel; a small packet of Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil; a Hogue Knives sticker; a pamphlet containing information about the knife (don't cut yourself!), customer satisfaction information (please call if something isn't right), and care and maintenance (keep it sharp and don't let it rust). Oh, and one more thing, a very nice knife pouch with the Doug Ritter and Hogue logos on it, with the knife inside.

Comparing the knife to a well-used and -loved full-size MK1 for a few minutes, here are my initial observations:
  • The Mk1-G2 is noticeably heavier in the hand than the original, presumably due to the scales.
  • The blade profiles are indistinguishable between the two, other than the jimping which is coarser on the G2.
  • The jimping is less sharp-feeling to the thumb on the G2 despite being coarser -- subjectively, I like it better on the G2.
  • Lettering on the blade is sharp and clear, appearing darker (and more legible) on the G2. This isn't wear -- I have a new-in-box safe queen original model that I took out to compare.
  • The thumb studs are different, and on my sample appear to be slightly different on each side, perhaps by design, one would have to look closely to see the difference.
  • The lockbar studs are also different, but symmetrical.
  • The scales are slightly longer and slightly more rounded on the G2, with a pleasing (to me) and less aggressive texture than on the original.
  • The action locks up more quietly and with a higher-pitched sound on the G2 compared to the original; but every bit as solid.
  • The stonewash on the G2 is less textured, more of a solid gray.
  • Out of the box fit and finish are superb, with a perfectly centered blade and everything looking gorgeous.
  • It's screaming sharp, as sharp as any factory blade I've ever handled.
  • The G2's pivot seems a little tighter than I prefer, but I haven't lubricated it yet or used it much.
  • The pocket clip is folded over for deeper carry, has a longer curve for more contact with what it's clipped to, but still retains the semi-standard three hole configuration on the scales (with only two screws used) so you can swap in many other pocket clip options.

Considering my test venue was my desk, I'm loving the new knife.