You mention "tents" when talking about a "fema camp", implying that a tent would be the shelter there. First of all, here in California, the disaster shelters are run by the American Red Cross, and they utilize standing buildings with indoor toilet and shower facilities - school gymnasiums are fairly typical. I believe this is fairly standard across the US.

There are tents and there are tents - some are very small and cramped, but appropriate for their intended use, and some are very large. They can be surprisingly comfortable. I have often stayed in tents during my career (the longest period was three months straight) in temperatures ranging from forty below to the high 90s, and they work quite well when properly erected and maintained.

Have you ever spent time in a tent? If not, a good experience most likely awaits you. I would second Montanero's advice in this regard; there are ways to diminish your aversion.

Finally, just what is a fema camp? On the survivalist websites, the term seems to denote a federal government camp, under very rigid controls - very similar, if not identical to a concentration camp. I don't believe that FEMA is actually in the business of directly running disaster shelters - that is more often the business of outfits like ARC. "Fema camp" seems to be a fictional construct, and a fairy tale bugaboo.

In practice, when we have had a disaster (large fire, for example), ARC operates a shelter at the local fair grounds, complete with accommodations for large and small animals. These are not heavily patronized since most people prefer to rent a room or stay with friends. And some of us leave hone with the option of pitching a tent somewhere nice.