Anything further? Am I missing anything? Would yous suggest a different approach?
I will probably grow old er, and never involuntarily get my feet wet, but one thing I live by, never ever say never. Those folks in the crash in DC, never in their wildest dreams anticipated, swimming in a frozen Potomac that day. If they had they wouldn't have been there, no sane person would. The crew couldn't help them, for a while the rescue agencies couldn't help them, and by that time, it was largely body recoveries. I don't think most rescue agencies carry immersion suits (or ice diving setups either and that might be a really useful option) on their rigs regularly during the winter, so if/when God forbid it happened again, the results would likely be pretty much the same. I can't legislate change in the FAA, the shipping industry, or even the NFPA, but there has to be something better out there, between total ignorance/helplessness, and "wear your PFD" and adequate education as to the realities, and possible efficacious options. I've never found another aspect of survival, that has so many "choke points", and the fact that nobody, that I know of, is linking the very limited study of cars in the water, or vehicles of all descriptions, submerged, with the much larger body of knowledge of immersion hypothermia is reprehensible. Even if you can get out of the car/plane/train/boat/bus, doesn't begin to guarantee a happy ending, and as above, most people drown, before they succumb to hypothermia. As stated, sometimes a PFD, just makes you easier to find. There has to be a better option

Regards, Jim