Question, because I don’t know the answer. After a car fills with water and the pressure equalizes, can the windows simply roll down as they would in air? Being a dinosaur, my car has manual crank windows, but are electric windows sealed such that they would still function? Curious minds...

That said, in my mind and from what I recall in training, getting clear of an aircraft or in this case car is primary, after that’s been accomplished, getting to the surface is a matter of holding one’s breath. 80’ — freedivers go much deeper and then return to the surface. IIRC you need to be conscious on the surface without assistance for the dive to count.

As I so fondly (sarc) remember from training for my water survival cert., getting comfortable underwater is a process. For me it was slowly and then all at once. I trained by swimming underwater, before one cert, I did two lengths (one lap) in a 25 yard pool (50 yards total) underwater. With that under my belt, I was able to sit in my seat and watch the other participants scramble for the exit before I released my harness and swam out (just a few seconds later). With a little training, being comfortable underwater allows you to take a few precious moments and this is where the idea of “Slow Is Smooth And Smooth Is Fast” comes in. $.02