"I'm much more likely to want to be found, than to hide in wild places"

i'm with Chaosmagnet on this. The gentleman in the video is an example of the school of thought that SHTF means that you want to avoid people and defend all that is yours with lots of guns and ammo against marauders and assorted bad guys -total societal breakdown.

I suppose I may have done too much SAR, but it is more common for people to break something or get lost and need to return to civilization. I think along the lines of bright colors, rather than camo; and signalling rather than stealth. Frankly, a lot of the survivalist bug out scenarios are more fantasy than any reality - not impossible, to be sure, but not very likely.

Checking around, bivy sacks can run anywhere from around $40 up to $242 dollars (REI web page). The cheapest is more of an emergency, limited use item, while the more expensive are essentially small tents.

It isn't hard to sew up one yourself, or you can just get a couple of yard waste bags and some duct tape to improvise something that will work in an real emergency.

Edited by hikermor (11/21/18 10:43 PM)