There is a continuum of bivy/tents ranging from about one pound weight up through bivys with tent like features up to light two person tents. Some bivys cost more than tents. Comfort depends on many factors. The last time I used my bivy I slept on lush grassland that was quite comfortable. One can augment the shelter provided by either a tent or bivy by using natural overhangs like rock shelters. Shelter from wind is most important in maintaining warmth and comfort.

When I evacuated last year I did so by car, carrying quite a bit, but I could have pared down my load to a minimalist back pack quite readily. Spent one partial night snuggled in the vehicle by the side of the road and the next three in a nice motel at trivial cost, courtesy of my BIL's points. The experience had a definite vacation-like quality to it. Indeed, support from friends, relatives, and neighbors is critical in a bug out situation. It is still very good to maintain the minimalist option.

The last time I slept in my bivy the sky was unimpeded by urban light, and the marvelous stars distracted me from sleeping - nice problem to have...

9(