Originally Posted By: Tirec
My wife & I have been in our current house for 16 years. We were in our previous house for 10. This is the longest either of us have lived in any house. WE'VE GOT TOO MUCH JUNK

Time for me to stop preaching (to myself), and get cleaning.

Me too. Just finished cleaning out some gear that hasn't been used in thirty years, and I doubt I will be flirting with 20,000 feet in Alaska snow and ice - hence no need for the double boots,overboots, and crampons. Kept the ice ax, though. It will be handy for field work, excavating fossils. I am just not doing the trips of my youth, and I don't need the attendant gear. Time to donate or sell....

Evacuating on short notice last year in the face of a fast moving fire was a valuable lesson. You can carry everything you need on your person. I and mrs Hikermor did it, and no regrets. I found myself speculating about the house burning down and what pleasure it would be to rebuild and replace our lousy kitchen with something much better. After all, it is just stuff, and stuff can be replaced. Probably better that we aren't going through that process. But every cloud has its silver lining.