Originally Posted By: KenK
I'm curious ... How are you carrying an EDC two AA flashlight? They seem kind of big (long) to me for EDC, unless you're carrying it in a bag of some kind.

Yes, I have a bag, which nowadays is mainly used for work and contains the usual EDC items. Outside of work, I don't usually carry an EDC bag as it is not too often, that I am not far from home, work or vehicle and I detest carrying anything in my pockets or on my key chain. Of course, any traveling outside our immediate area is a different situation and some EDC is carried.

My EDC is in pocket, so I carry a one AAA ARC light. It is not super bright, but enough if needed. Honestly, these days I usually carry my smartphone, and I've started thinking that with a flashlight app it is actually brighter than my ARC light. Maybe I'd be better using that ARC pocket space for something else (like a tiny compass?).

We have real bad power at work - and no one seems to grab the concept that they should think about having their own light source. And so, the only fear I have against using a flashlight app on my phone is that if I lend my phone out - the borrower drops and breaks the phone. Replacing a standalone flashlight is much cheaper and much less hassle then starting over with a new phone.

I've pretty much moved 100% to using LED headlamps (Princeton Tec EOS using three AAA batteries) since they allow me to be hands-free, are amazingly bright at high, just right amount of light in pitch darkness at low (think inside a tent), and allow use of alkaline, nickel metal hydride, or lithium batteries.

Yes, I have a couple of headlamps that are used for outdoor activities, but sometimes pulling out a flashlight is much easier.

John Lubbock