As I was saying in another thread:

Quote:
I keep my usual backcountry ditty bag in my handbag, right next to my makeup bag. I used to have just the basics in my makeup bag, but decided recently to carry more.

I have a Victorinox Rambler, Bic mini Bic, and Fisher Bullet Space Pen, a Storm whistle, a small PackTowl, an Inova X1 flashlight and spare battery, a LMF Swedish Army FireSteel, and a DiaSharp card, along with a few odds and ends like a couple of blanket pins, a couple of ponytail elastics, and a small vial of acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and diphenydramine, plus a 1 oz spray bottle filled with 70% isopropanol for hand sanitizer.

All of that goes in an IKEA fabric sandwich bag. I'm looking for a new pouch, though. There's a few things that need to be added/replaced, like a simple compass and a bit of cordage, those are on my shopping list.

On top of that, in my handbag is *always* a full set of Snow Peak titanium flatware (knife, fork, spoon, spork) a pair of Keith titanium chopsticks, and a fixed-blade Buck Diamondback for cutting baguettes, because those are all my EDC for lunch.

And then there's my vintage Gerber AirFrame folding knife.

My makeup case always has a compact in it that has a mirror that could be used for signalling, if necessary. Also, lip and eye pencils make good tinder, or a carpenters' pencil, if you don't wear makeup.

I'm having to rethink my idea of a first-aid kit, since I've recently discovered that I have developed a severe allergy to adhesive bandages, and have had terrible reactions to four different brands. It started to develop last year, but I didn't realise what it was.

But, really, my philosophy these days is more "stay out of trouble" than "be prepared for the apocalypse".

Just what I have in my handbag on a daily basis would enable me to get by in most situations. Usually, I'm carrying a 1 L Nalgene bottle, too, for lunch.

Because I live in a mountainous area with many dirt roads (New England), during winter, I keep a sleeping bag and MSR Rapidfire stove in my truck, as well as my Husqvarna/Hultafors axe, a Fanno Saw Works 30" log saw, a 36" DeWalt demolition bar, and a 15000 lb tow strap.

Edited by amper (07/30/18 09:40 PM)