Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I've posted this before, but not sure if you have ever acknowledged reading the post... it prompted me to purchase a small utility trailer,(1)to have the means to transport some items if necessary, and (2) offer an off ground platform on which to pitch a temporary shelter if I needed to rebuild my house

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

Like that page. Big fan of data backup.

Jeanette_Isabelle

I have a few technical issues with his backup solutions, but agree with ideas behind them.

IDEA- While his method may not work for you, I think the philosophy applies to most of us.

IDEA Data: back it up!
APPLICATION Data: When he did his writeup, the cloud did not exist. I have all my documents/photos on my PC, on a NAS, on a paid, ENCRYPTED Cloud service. I like USB, but it is not enough. If my house blew up, I still have 90% of our data. My resume is on cloud, in email; heck, I have a copy at work.

IDEA- PLAN Jeanette_Isabelle Your plan may not be HIS plan, but in this regard, while your plan and his are not the same, you both PLAN.
Application- PLAN you are already doing it.

IDEA STUFF- What can you not live without, or what do you need to rebuild?
APPLICATION- Stuff- This is tough. I have insurance, with riders for expensive stuff. I need the stuff that will get us out and keep us comfortable. I have a trunk of "Oh Crap" in the garage (reminds me, the clothes need updating- Darn kids keep growing) Basically a glorified suitcase, but bigger. In MY case, If I have the kids, the wife, Ideally the dogs, and a few days of stuff until the shock wears off, everything else is a push. Wife's Van will hold us, plus stuff, with range of 400 miles on full tank. That gets us to local relative, or Minneapolis for distant relatives.