Thanks, good post. There’s an article at wiki/Emergency_tourniquet
Quote:
...Results from laboratory and field testing suggest that windlass and pneumatic mechanisms are effective where other systems fail due to excessive pain, slipping, inadequate force, or mechanical failure. ...
...Pressure underneath a tourniquet cuff is not evenly distributed, with the highest pressures localized around the cuff centerline and decreasing to zero near the cuff edges.[7] A high rate of change of pressure across the cuff width, or a high cuff pressure gradient, is a leading cause of nerve and muscle injury from tourniquet use.[7] Tourniquets with wider straps or cuffs, especially those with pneumatic actuation in contrast to mechanical force, distribute pressure more evenly and produce lower pressure gradients.[7] They are therefore more likely to stop bleeding and less likely to cause damage to underlying tissue, in addition to being significantly less painful than tourniquets with narrow straps and bands.[4][8] Overpressure protection in certain emergency tourniquets also help to prevent excessive force from damaging the limb. ...

I like the SWAT-T because it’s 4” wide and should make an excellent aid for direct pressure, but that article indicates I may need to get a 3rd TQ besides the SWAT-T’s. The SOFTT-W looks good and is mentioned in the article as is the C-A-T.

Some may ask why and that was discussed earlier in this thread. It’s usually a layman who is first to an accident scene. That person dials 9-1-1 and then what?? It would be a good thing if that layman had first aid training and also had the ability to stop serious blood flow. That’s how I and I think others here are approaching this.

Taking the thread off on this TQ tangent for so many posts, it should have been a separate thread, but it is what it is.