I heartily disagree. In fact, it is surprising and instructive how useful even a small amount of light can be. There are occasions where you want to bring back the daylight, but they are rare.

in wild caves, a headlamp is essential, since your hands are often busy as you move over rough, varied terrain. The same is true for hiking at night, although I often hold my lamp in my hands near waist level. The variations in the ground ahead of you are much more apparent that way.

In fact, I have been disoriented, walking on smooth trails at night with a headlamp mounted on my head, unable to sense exactly where the ground lay.

I prefer a modest (less than 100 lummens) hand held headlamp, lit sparingly as night falls, so that my eyes can adjust to darkness. You can follow a well defined trail at night, especially if the sky is clear,using a light only now and then. If you have a bright moon, you will go for miles and miles with no artificial light at all.

First aid is a different story. You want LIGHT, and plenty of it. it is all too easy to miss significant injuries if there is not enough light (Don't ask me how I know this). Even the quality and character of the light can be a factor in this context..

Standard practice among cavers is to carry three independent sources of light with you at all times when in a cave. I generally follow this practice on any hike of any significant length.

These days my go to light is a Zebralight 600, powered by an 18650 li-ion battery - variable light levels (up to 1000 lumens), sturdy,light, bright, and dependable. There are other similar models on the market as well. They are all so much better than the junk available years ago....