Originally Posted By: acropolis5
JI, nice kit. May I suggest that if you are carrying 6, 5”x9” trauma pads, u need more Coflex or, better yet, 2-3, 3” roles of Vet Tape, to strap on the trauma pads.

I mentioned I'm modifying my kit and listed the changes along the way. On June 28 I listed what was then the current contents. I reduced the trauma pads from six to two and removed the CoFlex. For what you're mentioning, that is why a trauma bandage is there.

Did you give any thought to one or two Israeli 6” , doulble pad bandages , in place of 1-2 f the 5”x9” pads? They are the gold standard for Trauma bandaging.

Though they are 4" instead of 6", the trauma bandage is close to the Israeli Bandage.

Is your tweezers needle nose. It should be for effective splinter removal. And, especially in ur part of the country , a tick key or equivalent.

Yes.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01751/uncle-bills-tweezers.html

In my years as an EMT and the neighborhood first-aid Dad, I found u never pack too many/ enough sterile 4”x4” gauze pads. IMO, ur 6 is too few. 10 is a minimum and 20 is better.

Space is limited in the wound pocket.

A headlamp keeps ur hands free to give aid. Use AA or AAA lithium batteries for long life and no corrson.

Where in the med kit am I supposed to include a headlamp?

If u r going to give assistance to strangers,e.g. car accidents, I’d add a pair of swim goggles and 2-3, N-95 masks to fend off blood spatter. If you are going to rescue breath, a one way valve mask is a must. Even reusable ones aren’t too expensive and single use ones are very inexpensive.

Where, in the medical kit, would I put the safety goggles? The respirator masks are already listed. The CPR mask is also listed.

I’d also suggest u buy or assemble a better emergency dental kit. Just Google them and pick.

I question the usefulness of a dental kit. If I have access to a dentist, why would I need a dental kit in the first place? If I don't have access, a dental kit would only delay the inevitable.

Finally, keep 2 or more, 20oz. , push-pull drink tops of bottled water, along with a few single wrapped iodine pads. One pad in bottle for wound cleaning and one to pour in ur rehydration powder.

Where, in the medical kit, would I put the bottled water. I do keep an 8 OZ bottle of water in my EDC bag and I often have a second bottle of water with me. I understand why I would need bottled water with me for the hydration powder. Why would I need a sport-top water bottle for irrigating when I have an irrigation syringe listed among the instruments?

Misc. Edit: waterproof pad + pen,

Listed.

#11 disposable sterile scalpel,

That is beyond my level of training.

6-10 Wet Wipes invidual wipes for wound/ skin cleaning,

Listed.

small magnifier for splinters,

I considered a PSP, which has that.

thin waterproof marker pen to note tourniquet application with “T” and time , on victims cheek.

Listed.

Make sure ur aspirin is chewable childrens’ 82mg ( 6 is suspected heart attack dose),

The following is what the kit comes with and what I have to work with.

https://www.chinookmed.com/05193pa/aspirin-325-mg-tablets-analgesic.html

There is no room for a bottle of chewable aspirin in my kit; I do have a bottle in my EDC bag.

Jeanette Isabelle