Originally Posted By: Montanero
It is difficult to carry a pot, or even a metal cup, in a pocket size survival kit. ..... Not all survival situation happen in remote and pristine wilderness.

+1 on the pot difficulty, although,learning in hot, arid Arizzona,I soon vowed never to leave the car without a canteen. It is much easier to find a cup that will nest with canteens or water bottles. my fav is a 12 oz metal cup nesting at the bottom of a nalgene or sports drink container -light, versatile, and cheap!!

My most extensive experience with non-pristine water occurred at Canyon de Chelly National Monument (AZ). During one season of a long term project, we could not drive up the canyon to the dig because of exceptionally high water, and had to commute by an aboriginal side trail(a story in itself) and stay at the site for two to three days at a time.

That meant we drank the local stream water which was "too thin to plow and too thick to drink." CdeC Natl Mon is somewhat unusual in the NPS system in that the NPS controls only "objects of antiquity and of scientific interest." The Monument is also part of the Navajo Reservation, a habitat for thriving farmsteads and herds of sheep, which were both common upstream.

We would scoop up a gallon or so of stream water, let it sit for at least a day (until it was visually clear), decant and boil the fluid, and drink heartily. We did this for a month until the stream abated, and we could resume our normal commute....

Edited by hikermor (06/23/18 08:27 PM)