Originally Posted By: bws48
1) A box cutter does one thing, very safely and well--cut open boxes, but is less useful in other situations. I don't know how often you have to do that, but for me, at most, it is only a couple of times a week; unless you are doing it several times a day, a single use thing for EDC seems a bit of a waste. Better to carry something that will do that job AND do other things, even if only as a "backup" to other things you may EDC. So, for me, a single task item is less useful than something that is a multi-tasker.

2) The SAK has a large blade and a smaller blade; it gives some of the same flexibility as the box cutter that has different depths.

3) the blades of the SAK are relatively easy to sharpen.

I have established that my EMT shears will do almost everything I need a tool to do. I say "almost" because it does not open boxes, not very well. Since it does not open boxes, I need a second tool that will do the one job EMT shears cannot. Do you know of a device that will do everything EMT shears can do plus open boxes?

Originally Posted By: bws48
4) it has other tools that I actually have used: can opener, bottle opener, large flat screw driver, Philips head screw driver, and the one that has helped me so many times, the very small flat screw driver on the tip of the can opener that fits the screws on my wire rim glasses that keep getting loose and the lens pops out) (I find it useful to be able to see). I don't totally understand your needs, but having these things available as part of your EDC may be very helpful, as they have been for me.

It has other tools that you have used. That's fine for you. Telling me that I need a SAK would be like saying you need EMT shears. When I lived in Dallas, I knew a person who used a hammer for everything. If that's what works for him, that is what he needs to stay with.

Jeanette Isabelle