Originally Posted By: Montanero

We prepare for things that happen somewhere on a regular basis, as has been stated in other threads, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, power outages, loss of water supply, etc. ..etc... Things happen in life, and relying on someone else to help you out of it is dangerous, especially when you are expecting the government to handle it. Even the government has limited resources, many of their people lack training, their communications may not work effectively, or they may be overextended in handling large scale emergencies.

Should you worry about security? Yes. Should you be paranoid and live in fear of societal breakdown? No. Living in constant fear is counterproductive. A realistic threat assessment, based on factual historical information, is the basis of a good plan for preparedness.

Montanero speak with straight tongue!!

I might add, be part of the solution. Get training and hook up with other volunteers - in a CERT group, for example or some similar volunteer organization. I acquired first aid training up to EMT level and used it frequently for strangers who were subjects of rescues, but I frequently used it on family and friends, as well, dealing quickly with problems and getting them to definitive care before things ballooned out of control.

Timely response is a crucial factor in emergencies (the "Golden Hour"). the closer you are to the scene and the more skills you bring to bear, the more effective you are.