Just had a discussion on 'cash' today. I am on the Board of our HOA and my association manager just called me with the good news that an owner who was way behind on HOA dues has just come to his office and settled up - he dropped off about six grand in cash. This caused our manager to call me and he's checking with the police here to see if there is anything that this may relate to. We are glad to have the account cleared up but that much in a pile of C-notes was unusual to say the least. He wasn't even concerned about a receipt but our manager insisted and got him to sign off too.

I've got a small stash at home for whatever and usually carry at least 200 every day tucked away and 40 - 60 in my 'spending' money clip. The tucked away money has been very useful several times and it's a life long habit (as I got older the amount went up). I too tend to use cash for the day to day purchases and the card or a check only comes out when necessary and/or I need to track it. I may be really old-school but I've always kept a few rolls of quarters on hand too. Two in the house, one in the car and one at work right now. Quarters can go in vending almost anywhere and that has been really good for me more than once.

Paul -