As I understand it, a good many of today's emergencies are handled and announced by cell phone, which provides far more info than we had back in the old days. My data is incomplete, fo some one more informed is welcome to correct.

Of course, cell phones do not reach everywhere and that is where the new gadgetry comes into play. Knowing details of the emergency could run the risk of making SAR work entirely too easy and routine - where is the challenge?? (sarcasm alert...)

Still, in the old days (60 years ago), when we went out on a trip, we went with the realization that SAR was non-existent and we would have to deal with problems ourselves.

I remember one trip where one of our party took a wrong turn, heading down the wrong side of the range. he was strong, reasonably well equipped for a day hike, and resourceful, so we thought 'If he is not back by Wednesday, maybe we should call the sheriff or something.." he was back by late Tuesday. Our response might have been diferent had he been a winsome blonde....

You have a different mindset if you are planning for a situation where rescue is not possible or will be long and intricate (say, for instance, if you have a problem deep within a cave). My attitude still has traces of my old mindset, and i just haven't gotten around to purchasing a PLB or similar device, preferring to upgrade my current gear. Talk about a dinosaur.....