Thanks Hikermor.

To add to what I posted before, at the risk of droning on:

The water bottles I like for pocket carry or in small bags are the flask shaped ones. There are various sizes available, and I prefer the largest opening I can find to ease refilling. There is a bottled water company that I like (normal disclaimer) called FRED. They make flask shaped bottles specifically to make them easier to carry. If it is not convenient to carry, you will not carry it, and you will not have it when you need it. The FRED bottles can be carried in a pocket if necessary. I carry them often in a jacket pocket, and they fit well in a little Kelty sling pack I have.

As has been discussed before in other threads, physical fitness can be very important. The healthier you are the more survivable you are, and the better you can handle stress and overcome obstacles (such as walking a long distance to get home). In the military (at least in my own experience) fitness is treated as a weapon system. You are better able to handle everything life can throw at you, and overcome your enemies. Any physical training is better than no physical training, do what you can.

All of the best equipment does you no good if you do not know how to use it, or if you don't carry it. Practice with it. This forum is full of good people willing to help you out, and with a great deal of knowledge and experience, use it. If you are unwilling to post publicly, contact someone privately. I think most everyone here will be more than happy to assist.