Originally Posted By: clearwater
I have two friends who have had negligent discharges with their bear spray.

Makes me wonder if their is a need for a better canister/shape/safety or carrying systems/holsters.

The spray needs to be easily available when needed. I have containers that cover the spray button with a saftey flap covering it. Push the thumb under the flap, aim with the index and press down with the thumb. Works fine. Thatīs good enough for me.

There have not been NG's with the guns they own.

I canīt speak for them, but I train and practice way more with my guns than I do with my pepper spray. I got safety instructions for using a gun too.
OTOH I know a couple of people who carry pepper spray for self defense. The actual number of practice sessions for these people is zero. Some were not even aware of role of wind in the use of an aerosol.
That makes a difference.

Also the descriptions of what it is like to be sprayed makes me rethink whether it is a good idea to spray a bear while it is attacking a person. Making the victim more incapacitated might make it harder for them to escape or defend themselves? Too blind to aim their own spray or gun?

One solution is using liquid or gel instead of an aerosol. That depends much less on wind.
People can stay fairly functional when sprayed. Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1QvzUWaQBI
Once again it seems to be a matter of trainig and practice.