Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
So can we drop the invented proposal about an imaginary new law and stick to things that actually exist?

Well said! I find it mildly amusing that people who live far from the UK love to get worked up over badly reported or in some cases totally fake stories from the UK (supposed knife laws, 4 meals from anarchy, etc). Meanwhile they ignore comments from people like quick joey small (who actually live there).

A bit of personal on the ground reporting: Last year we spent a couple of weeks as tourists in the UK. There were bag checks at most tourist attractions. At one security check the guard looked in my backpack and then asked if I had any knives or sharp instruments on me. I had a moment of panic, as I had a very tiny knife (suitable mainly for cleaning fingernails) in my pocket. I had meant to leave at the hotel, but had forgetfully left in my pocket. Nervously I showed it to the guard. He laughed and said something to the effect of "....that's not really much of a knife..." and waved me through. Note that in the US I've seen similar blades confiscated by security.