"Ah,now I see why you got into SAR! Purely for the CDI factor. grin"

This comment by Phaedrus in the malibu hiker thread inspires me to rant on one of my favorite subject - SAR and Survival

Well, actually, I got involved in SAR (Search and Rescue) through a string of circumstances for which I am grateful. Wilderness SAR involvement has been one of the most positive pursuits in my life.

Survival schools are sprouting up all over the place, but I would submit that joining a SAR unit, and actively participating, will over time give you unparalleled experience in dealing with rough circumstances.

You will be called to work at very unusual times and circumstances - starting at noon on a hot summer day, or hitting the trail into a setting winter sun as a storm builds, knowing that what is in your pack and on your body will be what will sustain you for the next 24 hours, or maybe more.

But you are part of an organized group, you almost always have radio contact. Things will likely not get too far out of hand.

Sooner or later, you and the group will be faced with unusual and challenging situations. Learning will commence. Grading is a pass/fail system.

I was involve with SAR overall for more than twenty five years, very intensely for fifteen years. I learned an immense amount about team work, crisis management, unequaled joy, and deep tragedy. Oddly enough, I gained more from my SAR experience that I put into the SAR effort, and I put a lot in