I realize it's not quite the same but you may want to head over to the Mountain House website and check out their Military meals (formerly known as LRP Rations). They're freeze dried like other MH stuff but compressed into a very compact, tight block as opposed to the loose bag that their backpacking stuff is sealed in. They're not fine dining but IMO they're at least as good tasting as MREs! Maybe a little better. Portions are fairly generous compared to an MRE and they're much lighter.

Granted, they require hot water to prepare so they're not a no-cook option like an MRE. Well, they say to boiling water but I imagine cold water would reconstitute them although it might take longer. They probably wouldn't be all that tasty cold but neither would an MRE.

I noticed that CampingSurvival.com has some MREs in stock, especially if you don't mind the reduced sodium verions. Not a huge variety but as you say, if the supply is limited you probably can't be too picky!