A couple of practical thoughts.
I trained with a variety of blades and sticks for a long time, mostly because I went overseas (Africa) and it was necessary to have some type of practical defense in rural areas. my attitude about "knife carry" was more supportive in those days. I am happy that I never had to use any of these weapons for any kind of real-life situation (i.e. defense against criminals).

My attitude changed again after spending the last 2 years in Brazil. My Brazilian family (my wife's family) are farmers. It is common practice for farmers to slaughter and butcher large animals by hand in Brazil. They do this to save money, and also because all the farmers have retained the knowledge of how to kill and prepare meat. These are skills that have been 'lost' for most people in countries like the USA and Europe, where things are more industrialized.

It makes a big impression when you see a pig killed with a knife. The biggest thing you learn is just how dangerous a knife really is, and how easily a victim can be lethally injured. After seeing this process, I resolved NEVER to allow a person with a knife to be close to me (or my family). And really, this is the same lesson that US police are trained with - do not go close to an assailant with a knife. Tell them to put the weapon down, or if they refuse, shoot them. I cannot blame the police at all for this procedure ... it's practical and realistic.

Keep these thoughts in mind of you are carrying a blade for any reason. If you go close to someone who is a farmer and knows the butchering of animals, they are not going to think positively about what you are doing. These days, I only use knives as tools - and very carefully.