We spend a good fraction of day sleeping in bed, and occasionally will need to spring up and act quickly. This happened to me recently, arising from a sound sleep to evacuate in face of an oncoming wildfire, but I was reasonably prepared, because I am concerned about being ready for the unannounced arrival of an earthquake, an event which has no reliable predictors.

As I age, I find I prefer warmer and warmer clothing. This expends to my sleeping gear; I usually put on a light fleece jacket, which fortunately has zippered pockets. My key ring, which contains a small flashlight, a lighter, small pry bar, tiny multitool, and a cash capsule, is in the right pocket (I sleep on my left side) and I tuck my cell phone into a zippered chest pocket. Thus, as soon as I waken, I have some essentials at hand.

I need to include my wallet and especially glasses, which are on the table next to the bed. Although I can reach them immediately under normal circumstances, an EQ shock can easily displace them.

Various circumstances can require one to rouse immediately and react constructively. Foresight and planning will aid this immensely.

What measures do you take when you tuck yourself in at night?