There are a lot of things about 9-1-1 calls that are easy to discuss in an internet forum and a whole ‘nuther animal if you are in a situation or even a mere observer. I’ve never had to call 9-1-1 and I’d really like to hear from a 9-1-1 operator/dispatcher. Guys like me who have never had to make the call let alone receive one should be the last to give such advise.

That said, it’s probably good to have an automatic preamble so the 9-1-1 operator will know to whom she’s speaking and a relevant location — Name, phone number, location — and then get into why you’re calling. The preamble would be easy because name and phone number should roll right out, and location shouldn’t take too much thought (if you are on an island, be sure to say “ISLAND” so there’s no confusion).

As for why you’re calling, if you are personally involved, it may be difficult to stay calm and speak so you are clear and easily understood, which is why I like the preamble — it gets you speaking relevant stuff you don’t really need to think about, before you get into discussing the situation.

IMO it’s best to be calm, clear and methodical than to speak loudly and in a hurry. Speaking fast will not make the response quicker; being easily understood will possibly make the response quicker and more appropriate. Easier said...