A lot is going to depend on circumstances. I might try desperate measures on a close relative, for instance, that I would never attempt on a stranger.

In my first EMT class (many moons ago) which was given by my employer to those of us who would be operating out deep in the woods (this was years before the Wilderness oriented courses were developed), our instructor, a Navy corpsman with lots of experience, introduced us to the "crico," a procedure where you cut into, or puncture the esophagus, hopefully below the larynx, in order to open the airway when other measures were ineffective. I understand this procedure has been successfully performed using no other instrument than a ball point pen.

I have yet to be faced with the need to attempt this maneuver, and I just mention it as an example of a "Hail Mary" procedure that is theoretically available in desperate circumstances.

Remember that rapid transport to definitive care (a decent ER) is critical to a good outcome - the Golden Hour. When faced with a situation requiring care, you simply do the best you can and cross your fingers. I believe most of those I have treated have survived...
Do the best you can, according to your capabilities and training, and sleep soundly at night.