OK, two separate topics, but I'm feeling lazy.

1. Micro Photon

My Micro Photon's batteries are giving out, so naturally that's a chance for me to (1) replace the batteries, and (2) consider updating it by buying another one. I notice that some models come with a sleeve around the LED, to protect it and to eliminate side scatter. My Micro Photon has survived my pocket and many drops (with the rest of keychain) for nearly a decade. So I don't think I need it for protection. What about the side scatter? I don't think the little sleeve will intensity the light. It will simply block the light rays going sideways. Is that a big plus? If so, under what conditions?

Second, I started reading about the debate of light colors. Apparently people are preferring green over red for saving night vision these days. But then the more important thing is not to have a light source that is too bright -- no matter what color, a light that is too bright will make you lose your night vision, forcing your eyes to take time to readjust. Does color make a difference for the Micro Photon? Is it too bright?

Links in case anyone is interested, here are two links I read: Dough Kniffen,Astrolight for Visual Work, or Go for the Green, which is cited in Bryan Black, Navigating the Dark: How to Preserve Your Night Vision.

2. Food Spoilage

So this is stupid. I bought some groceries, and I left them out in this weather for 9 hours in my trunk. Can I still eat it? The groceries include: seal-packed raw chicken (no air in the pack) and frozen dinners.

Today was sunny, and the temperature outside was between 45 and 35 degrees F. (Yeah, it's warm where I live.) The car was parked under direct sun for all that time. (Just forgot about my groceries, and it took me 9 hours to remember.) Since refrigeration is supposed to be around 36-38 degrees F, I feel like I should be OK. I'm not a restaurant or anything, and I'm not looking for legal advice obviously. But I'd appreciate a "don't do it!!!" if you see danger.