Originally Posted By: Treeseeker

I think I will avoid Arizona.

Oh,no!! As a former AArizonan, and still somewhat of a booster, don't decline to visit AZ because of the snakebite hazard (the Cali vipers are just as bad, or worse). I did SAR around Tucson for more than twenty five years and we never had to treat a snake bite victim, although we had plenty of fall and flood victims.

You have a much greater probability of drowning in AZ than becoming a snakebite victim. I once attended a lecture by a Tucson physician who had treated something like 50 victims - half were young kids playing in their yards. The others were 15-24 year old males who were deliberately handling the reptiles.

I have encountered snakes from time to time while out in the wilds, all over the western US. one can easily take elementary precautions which will minimize the risk. Generally Mr. Snake goes in one direction, and I go in the other.

If you want to avoid rattlers, visit Channel Islands National Park. There are no poisonous snakes on any of the park islands (There is a rattler on Santa Catalina, I believe.