Excellent points, but some of us (I won't name names) began climbing before modern climbing ropes were in vogue. my first use of a rope was a 1/2"manila rope fixed by our leader who free climbed the pitch (today rated at 5.6) and we clambered up hand over hand. Belay, what's a belay? I have no idea how the rope was fastened to the stout tree that anchored our ascent.

Fortunately, someone arrived in town with nylon ropes, pitons, carabiners, and the knowledge to use them correctly and we lived to tell tales.

I do think it is useful to be aware of the changes in strength wrought by knotting, running sharply over a carabiner, wear and tear, etc., and be mindful of these factors when climbing or rigging.

I have receeently had occasion to apply my knowledge of rope craft to rigging large paleontological specimens of unknown weight (but estimated to reach around 1200 pounds) for extrication. The work is much more methodical than the usual rock climbing situation, but care is needed. Failure would b embarrassing, to say the least....