Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Selecting a PLB strikes me as something that should involve the person who will be carrying it. This is a pretty personal sort of thing. He'll need to know why it's a good idea to have one, he'll need to get into a habit of carrying one, and he'll need to know when to use it, etc.

In my experience, the biggest obstacle to overcome to get someone to carry a PLB is the cost. When you give it to them and ask them to carry because you are concerned about them, they almost always do. I generally recommend the ACR ResQLink, which is what I carry, unless weight it an absolute critical issue, then the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1 will do.

If she wants tracking, etc, then the SPOT will work.

Somewhere out there somebody has my Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1. My backpack was stolen out of my car with the unit. mad
I reported it to the NOAA as stolen so that if the thief ever figures out how the button works, they can be tracked down by the RCMP. laugh

I will eventually replace it with the same unit. I take it with me when hiking/kayaking. But this time I will make sure I get it from a Canadian dealer (Not an *&$%#@ American Amazon retailer masquerading himself as Canadian) and register it with my own country's registry.

Actually, I don't know why I really need one on the prairies. It's so flat around here that when I ran away from home when I was a kid, my parents knew where I was even 3 days later. smile