Originally Posted By: haertig
I doubt many fools would have the brain power to earn enough money to finance one of these long sailing adventures. They can't be inexpensive. So my assumption is that most people who engage in these kind of adventures are pretty dang smart and well to do.
It is a common misconception that all blue water sailors are well to do. While this kind of voyaging isn't cheap, it can be done for much than one might think. One could buy a capable 40-50 ft world cruiser, used but in decent shape, for under $200K. Sometimes much less if one is willing and able to put time and money into a refit. One sees a fair number of folks who retire and sell their paid off house, put part of the proceeds into a good used boat, and head out on a world cruise.

Before embarking on their big adventure, most of these folks have developed their sailing skills over the years by weekend and vacation sailing in smaller boats in coastal areas. Over the years they've also developed the knowledge and skills to cope with at sea emergencies. They've also learned to make at sea repairs when something breaks, as inevitably it will. And they have the good sense to activate the EPIRB on those rare occasions when things have gotten beyond their ability to deal with.